English II Pre-Advanced Placement SyllabusCourse Content and Philosophy:
The focus of the tenth grade year is a continued mastery of reading and writing skills necessary for success in the Advanced Placement Language and Literature curriculum. The goal is an increased competency in critical thinking, critical reading, and critical writing. Students will produce essays in a variety of rhetorical forms, sentences of greater sophistication, and more difficult and varied analysis of literature: fiction and nonfiction, poetry and prose.1st Nine Weeks: The Tragedy of MacBeth by William Shakespeare. I HIGHLY recommend that you purchase your own copy so that you can take notes/highlight the text for better comprehension.2nd Nine Weeks: A Separate Peace by John Knowles3rd Nine Weeks: Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck AND Great Expectations by Charles Dickens4th Nine Weeks: Continue with Great Expectations by Charles Dickens (and we may add Animal Farm by George Orwell)Supply List:
Major Works Data SheetYou will create a MWDS for ALL major works in Pre-AP English. It will count as two daily grades in the class.The purpose of the major works data sheet is not only to assist you in analysis and review of the work but also to provide a study guide for the literature and composition free-response question on the AP exam your senior year.Extra CreditMust complete one week before the end of the nine weeks!
- Binder and 5 dividers for class notes, vocabulary, and handouts
- Pencil/Pen (No light colors that are difficult to read!)
- Highlighters with various colors
- Binder paper
- Small sticky notes
1984I Know Why the Caged Bird SingsAntigoneNightCatch 22Oliver TwistCatcher in the RyeOnce and Future KingEthan FromeSlaughterhouse-FiveA Farewell to ArmsThe Sun Also RisesHard Times Things Fall ApartThe Time MachineWuthering Heights
- You will come in before or after school and take a 100-question objective test concerning a book from the list below.
- You must submit a Major Works Data Sheet on your chosen book on the day you come in for the test.
- Extra credit test may only be taken ONE time per nine weeks.
- You can use the test grade to replace your lowest test grade OR your three lowest daily grades. It is your choice.