This year in 8th grade social studies your student will learn about the history of the United States, as well as government and how it was created.
It is important that we work together to ensure your student is responsible and successful this year! Please feel free to sign up for Skyward Family & Student Access to regularly monitor your child's attendance and grades!
- Students will analyze the political, economic, geographical factors that influenced the settlement and growth of the United States of America.
- Students will examine the American beliefs and principles, including limited government, checks and balances, federalism, separation of powers, and individual rights reflected in the U.S. Constitution and other historical documents.
- Students will analyze the Bill of Rights and explain why these are critical to our republican form of government.
- Students analyze the various economic factors that influenced the development of colonial America and the early years of the Republic and identify the origins of the free enterprise system.
- Students evaluate the impact of Supreme Court cases, major reform movements, and examine the rights and responsibilities of citizens of the United States.
- Students use critical-thinking skills, including identifying bias in written, oral, and visual material.