Welcome to Village Elementary!
Hello, welcome to the 23-24 school year! I am Nurse Acuña and I have been honored to be Village's nurse going into my 5th year! I have 20 years of nursing experience and have worked in various areas of nursing such as public health, oncology, and worked as a regional nurse consultant to share a few areas along my career. I have two boys who attend GISD. I am invested in GISD as a parent, community member and now as a proud GISD employee. I take my role in caring for your student(s) with great responsibility to do my absolute best each day to keep them safe and healthy. I am a strong advocate for children/students. I enjoy caring for them and consider this the best nursing job there is! Please feel free to reach out to me for any questions or concerns and thank you for allowing me to care for your child(ren).
Erika Acuna BSN, RN, AMB-BC
DISTRICT HEALTH GUIDELINES:
If a student tests positive for COVID-19
- Student may not attend school
- Student remains home for 5 full days from symptom onset. Student may return on day 6 if there is improvement of symptoms and 24 hours fever free without the use of fever-reducing medications
GISD follows the Texas Department of Health Guidelines for illness-related exclusions from school. A student will be sent home if they have a fever of 100.0 Fahrenheit or above or any other contagious symptoms (vomiting, diarrhea, rash, etc.) and will need to remain home until symptom free for twenty-four (24) hours, without the use of medication. If it is determined that the child should go home, the staff will contact the parent/guardian. If the parent/guardian cannot be reached, a listed emergency contact will be contacted. When it is determined that the student must go home due to a non-emergent illness/injury, it is the expectation that the student be picked up within the hour of parent/guardian/emergency contact being contacted.
If the doctor prescribes your child antibiotics, he/she must be on the antibiotic for 24 hours before returning to school.
These guidelines are followed to prevent the spread of illness to other students.
Other clinic Information:
- Parents/Guardians must drop off/pick up medication with me. Students are NOT allowed to transport medication.
- New Medication forms/Asthma Action plans/Allergy Action Plans/Seizure Action Plans must be completed each school year
- Activity Restrictions from physicians will pertain to both PE and Recess
The clinic is always in need of snacks, water, clothes, cups etc. If you would like to donate any of these items, please feel free to reach out to me.