- Georgetown Independent School District
- Covid-19 Family Updates
The Latest Update
August 11: Family UpdatePosted by Community Relations on 8/11/2020 6:05:00 PM
Today might feel like just another Tuesday, but in Georgetown ISD, it signifies the official start of the school year. I had the privilege of visiting campuses on my way to the office today and was inspired by the energy our teams displayed as they talked about the start of this school year. In fact, one of our teachers shared this on Twitter today: “Difficult roads often lead to beautiful destinations. We’re back!”
We are back - TOGETHER. We’re practicing new safety protocols while learning together and making final preparations to serve your students.
- Our campus teams are working on master schedules to accommodate your learning preferences and staffing needs are being aligned to support that:
- 57% of students will be returning on September 10 for on-campus instruction and
- 43% intend to learn in remote environments
- Our technology team, along with more than 70 volunteers, is preparing devices for deployment. Look for a letter today from GISD Technology with specific details on how and when to pick up your family’s device (Chromebooks, iPads and hotspots) for your child(ren) including a campus-specific link to sign up for a pick-up time and location between August 13 and September 9. If your student has access to a personal computer or Chromebook and internet already, you do not need to rush to check out a device prior to August 20. Students without any device at home (not counting smartphones) need priority access to the early checkout times.
- Staff from a variety of departments are working on content to help launch ParentU, a platform designed to connect GISD families with district and community resources that support students in collaboration with our team and community partners. The first sessions include tools to help you prepare for remote learning next week:
- Accessing Student Login Info
- Logging into Classlink on a GISD Chromebooks
- Accessing ClassLink on an iPad
These on-demand virtual sessions can be accessed anytime and include Spanish translation and, along with other resources and opportunities for parents, will be available for you as part ofParentU. Look for information on accessing ParentU very soon!
As a reminder, school supply lists for elementary and middle school students have been updated on our website. These supplies will be useful for students on-campus and in remote learning locations. Additionally, some campuses are suggesting that earbuds or headphones will be useful in our new 1:1 technology environment. If your family needs assistance with school supplies, our partner, The Georgetown Area Junior Forum, is hosting a free school supply drive tonight until 7:30 pm at The Boys & Girls Club. More information is on our website.
We have so much to look forward to in Georgetown ISD this school year and we can’t wait to get started! Thank you for your continued support. Please don’t hesitate to reach out to our team if there’s anything we can do to support your student.
Georgetown ISD Superintendent