A catastrophic illness or injury is a severe condition or combination of conditions affecting the mental or physical health of the employee or a member of the employee’s immediate family that requires the services of a licensed practitioner for a prolonged period of time and that forces the employee to exhaust all leave time earned by that employee and to lose compensation from the District. Complications resulting from pregnancy shall be treated the same as any other condition.
The District shall establish a Catastrophic leave bank that employees may join through contribution of 2 local sick days. Leave contributed to the bank shall be solely for the use of participating employees. An employee who is a member of the bank may request leave from the bank if the employee or a member of the employee’s immediate family experiences a catastrophic illness or injury and the employee has exhausted all paid leave. If the employee is unable to request leave from the Catastrophic leave bank, a member of the employee’s family or the employee’s supervisor may submit the request. The Superintendent or designee shall develop regulations for the operation of the Catastrophic leave bank that address the following:
1. Membership in the Catastrophic leave bank, including the number of days an employee must contribute to become a member;
2. Procedures to request leave from the Catastrophic leave bank;
3. The maximum number of days per school year an employee member may receive from the Catastrophic leave bank;
4. The committee or administrator authorized to consider requests for leave from the Catastrophic leave bank and criteria for granting requests; and
5. Other procedures deemed necessary for the operation of the Catastrophic leave bank.
For more information on the Catastrophic leave policy, including what conditions qualify, visit Board Policy Online, and search by the term "catastrophic leave."
How to Request Catastrophic Leave
Step 1. Visit the Human Resources portion of the district website and print a Request for Catastrophic Leave form. Review the definition of Catastrophic Leave. (Note: Your state and local leave must be exhausted in order to qualify.)
Step 2. Once you have submitted both completed forms to the HR-Benefits office, it will be reviewed and determined by a committee if you qualify.
Step 3. The HR-Benefits office will notify you of the decision made.