TEA Website: What is Transition?
Transition Services is a coordinated set of activities for a student designed within an outcome - oriented process, which promotes movement from school to post-school activities, including post-secondary education, vocational training, integrated employment (including supported employment), continuing and adult education, adult services, independent living, or community preparation.The coordinated set of activities must (1) be based upon the individual student's needs; (2) take into account student preferences and interests; and (3) include instruction, community experiences, the development of employment and other post - school adult living objectives, and, if appropriate the acquisition of daily living skills and functional vocational evaluation.What does all this really mean:
The basic purpose of this legislation is to better prepare students with disabilities to enter the workplace, continue learning, become as independent as possible
and contribute to society.
We have increased planning and coordination between school and families to help students meet these challenges, from PPCD through post-secondary. Further, the intent is to enable students to access supports and services before they leave school to post-secondary education, training, employment, independent living, and community participation.
THE FOCUS IS SHIFTED FROM WHAT THE INDIVIDUAL CANNOT DO, TO WHAT THE INDIVIDUAL CAN DOTURNING DISABILITIES INTO CAPABILITIES
Questions to Ask
Ask Yourself: When my child leaves school will they have the following in place?
- A place to live where they feel safe and valued
- A place to go every day where they can be productive doing things they enjoy and do well in those endeavors
- A friend, family member or advocate who knows them well enough to protect their interests
- Opportunities to choose and participate in leisure activities they enjoy
- Enough income to maintain their chosen lifestyle
- Access to health and medical services
- Opportunities to express their sexuality
- A way to communicate their needs, choices, and opinions effectively to friends, and strangers
- Opportunities to continue to learn and grow
- Skills they need to develop and maintain positive relationships with their friends and family and the with people they meet and work
- Opportunities to be an active member of their community
- Skills they need to access and use technology that will help improve their lifestyle
- Friends who understand them, share their interests, and provide natural supports
- Skills they need to access and understand the information available through media
- A packet of information including names and telephone numbers of the adult providers who can help them when they leave school
- A diploma that confirms that they have completed the requirements of their educational program
Transition ContactsBluebonnet Trails Community Services (512) 244-8363
www.bluebonnetmhmr.orgThe Department of Assistive Rehabilitation Services (DARS), has changed its name. After Texas Legislative decisions, DARS has now become:Texas Workforce Solutions Vocational Rehabilitation Services (TWS-VR).
Transition Vocational Rehabilitation CounselorRound Rock Office1101 E. Old Settlers Blvd. #200-BRound Rock, Texas 78664
Dawn Jennings,GISD Special Ed Parent Liasion
(512) 943-5000 Ext. 6884
Jennings@georgetownisd.orgGeorgetown Independent School District does not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, age, religion, color, national origin, or disability in providing education services, activities or programs. It is the intent and policy of this District to conduct its activities incompliance with all Federal and State laws prohibiting discrimination on the basis of race, sex, age, religion, color, national origin, or disability.El Distrito Independiente Escolar de Georgetown no discrimina a base de raza, sexo, edad, religion, color, origen nacional, o incapacidad en proveerservicios educacionales, actividades, o programas. Es la intencion y norma del Distrito de conducir sus actividades de acuerdo con todas las leyes Federales y Estatales prohibiendo discriminacion a base de raza, sexo, edad, religion, color, origen nacional o incapacida.