1.9 Connecting to Public or Home WiFiDIRECTIONS: Read the instructions below which will step you through how to connect to home or public WiFi on your iPad. You will NOT have to perform these steps to connect to WiFi in a GISD building. If you ever have trouble connecting to WiFi in GISD, please put a request into Eduphoria HelpDesk or call Ext. 5005.
Teachers may take their district issued iPad home for planning and preparation purposes. Please note that per the iPad Use Agreement you signed when you were issued your iPad, your iPad should be with you in your instructional setting every school day, even if you are not planning to use it for instruction that day.Outside of GISD, if you want to use the Safari web browser, any app that requires Internet access, or to download new apps, you must connect the iPad to a wireless network (WiFi).
If you have followed these steps but are unable to connect to WiFi:
- Tap Settings
- Tap Wi-Fi
- If the Wi-Fi toggle slider is not GREEN, slide it to the right to turn Wi-Fi on.
- Under Choose a Network... you will see a list of wireless networks that are available to you. Tap the name of the wireless network you want to connect to.
- Enter the Password for the wireless network if requested to do so.
- If you are at home, you or a family member should know the password for your wireless network.
- If you are at a restaurant or store that offers free WiFi access, you may need to ask management for their WiFi password.
- Some people or businesses choose not to protect their WiFi access with a password. If that is the case, you will not be prompted to enter a password.
- Some businesses/public entities require you to accept an Acceptable Use Policy before your iPad will be fully connected to their wireless network. To determine whether this is required:
- Go to the Home screen of your iPad
- Tap Safari
- If you are required to accept and Acceptable Use Policy, you will likely see a screen that describes the policy and a box to check or a button to tap to accept the policy.
- First, repeat the steps above to ensure that you did not skip a step.
- Ask an employee of the business if there are any additional steps you need to take to connect to their WiFi.
- Please note that sometimes depending on the way a WiFi network is set up, it may not be compatible with iPads.
The video below demonstrates how to connect to password protected WiFi on an iPad. Although demonstrated on an iPad Mini, the same procedure will work on a full-sized iPad.Unable to see the video below? If you are currently at a GISD campus attempting to view this page on an iPad, please follow these instructions to bypass the Lightspeed Filter:
- Click here. A new tab will open in your web browser.
- In the new tab, click Not you? in the top left corner of the page.
- Login with your GISD computer username and password.
- Close the new tab.
- Refresh this page. You will now be able to view the video below.
Congratulations! You have completed all of the learning activities in iPad Basic Training for Teachers - Module 1: Vision and iPad Basics.Please click the link below to access the end-of-module survey for Module 1. You must complete and submit the survey to receive credit for Module 1. You will receive credit in Eduphoria within approximately one week after completing the survey.
Last Modified on August 16, 2014