1.4 Powering an iPad On and OffDIRECTIONS: Please view the video below to learn how and when to power on, put to sleep, wake up, and power off an iPad. Then, read the information below the video about rebooting an unresponsive iPad.
Unable to see the video below? If you are currently at a GISD campus attempting to view this page on an iPad, please follow these instructions to bypass the Lightspeed Filter:
Turning off an Unresponsive iPadiPads do not freeze often, but if yours does, follow the steps below to reboot it. Do not do this unless your iPad has frozen up completely and you have no other option.
- Click here. A new tab will open in your web browser.
- In the new tab, click Not you? in the top left corner of the page.
- Login with your GISD computer username and password.
- Close the new tab.
- Refresh this page. You will now be able to view the video below.
- Simultaneously press and hold the Power button on the top right edge of the iPad AND the Home button at the bottom of the screen.
- When the screen goes black, let go of the buttons. You have successfully turned off your iPad.
- To power the iPad back on, simply hold down the power button until the Apple logo appears.
Below you will find the same information that was covered in the video, but in text format. You may review the information if you wish.After viewing the video above and optionally reviewing the information below, please proceed to section 1.5 Charging the iPad.
Read the information below if you would like to review the basics of powering the iPad on and off and putting it to sleep.Turn On (Power On) the iPad
Turn Off (Power Off) the iPad
- Press the Power button on the top right edge of the iPad.
- A silver apple logo will appear on the screen as the iPad turns on.
- The iPad is powered on when you see a number of square icons (apps) on your screen.
Put iPad in Sleep/Standby Mode
- Press and hold the Power button on the top right edge of the iPad.
- When you see the Slide to Power Off button, slide the slider to the right.
- The screen goes black, and your iPad is now turned off.
Wake up iPad from Sleep/Standby Mode
- Press the Power button quickly one time.
- Your screen goes black, and the iPad is now in sleep mode.
Power Off or Sleep/Standby?
- Press the Power button quickly one time, and Slide to Unlock.
- Press the Home button one time, and Slide to Unlock.
- When should I put my iPad to sleep? Sleep/standby mode conserves the battery while you are not using your iPad. Put your iPad to sleep when you are not using it for a short time. Generally less than an hour.
- When should I power off/turn off my iPad? Power off/turn off your iPad when you are finished using it for the day or when it is going to be more than an hour before you use it again.
If you have viewed the video at the top of the page and optionally reviewed the information in text above, please proceed to section 1.5 Charging the iPad.
Last Modified on August 3, 2014