School History

  • The original Raye McCoy Elementary School was constructed at 1313 Williams Drive to serve as Georgetown Junior High School, opening in September, 1964, with grades 6-8 attending. In 1975, the school was renamed Northside Middle School as grades shifted on the campus. On October 1, 1993, with grades 3-5, the school was dedicated as the Raye McCoy Elementary School in honor of Mrs. Raye Baldwin McCoy.
    Mrs. Raye McCoy was a teacher of Spanish at the junior and senior high schools in the Georgetown ISD from 1949 to 1977. She followed her retirement with service on the GISD Board of Trustees from 1986 to 1989.

    She touched many lives with her enthusiasm, dignity, and respect. Her sense of excitement, fun, and laughter were evident as she worked tirelessly for both the students and the school. Her classes were characterized by active participation and disciplined learning. A respectful atmosphere permeated Mrs. McCoy's classroom. She received the 1983 Georgetown Chamber of Commerce Woman of the Year Award for outstanding contribution to the community.
     
    As Georgetown grew in the 2000's, the district outgrew the aging facility. With funds from the 2010 bond, a new McCoy Elementary was built and opened in the fall of 2012 to serve students in kinder through 5th grade.
     
    The old McCoy on Williams Drive became the district annex to house support staff as well as the Bridges program (18+) and the Boys and Girls Club. It served in that capacity until early 2019 when the building was raized and the property was later put up for sale.
     
    .Mrs. McCoy