Student Drug Use Prevention Program
Georgetown ISD has a vital interest in maintaining a positive learning environment that is safe and healthy for all students. To fulfill that purpose, the District designed this random drug-testing program as a positive, proactive approach to promote a drug and alcohol-free student body. The program is academically nonpunitive. However, it is designed to teach self-responsibility and that there are consequences for misbehavior. This program shall be in effect for a student’s entire District extracurricular participation in grades 9–12.By adopting this program, the District desires to:
- Provide for the health and safety of all students.
- Undermine the effects of peer pressure by providing a legitimate reason for students to refuse to use illegal drugs.
- Deter students from using drugs.
- Prevent injury or harm to students that may arise as a result of drug use.
- Encourage students who use drugs to participate in a drug-treatment program.