Inclement Weather Procedures
Inclement Weather ProceduresWhen inclement weather is a possibility, Georgetown ISD district officials continually monitor weather conditions during the overnight and early morning hours. The district takes several factors into consideration before making a decision to cancel school, delay school, or dismiss school early due to inclement weather. These primary factors include:
- The health, safety and welfare of students and staff; and the safe transport of students and staff to school.
Cancellations, Delays, and Early Releases – How Decisions are MadeWhen inclement weather threatens normal school operations, the following steps are taken:
- The district’s Director of Transportation (and other staff) evaluates the roadways and travel conditions across the district.
- The Superintendent may consult with GISD transportation staff, emergency management officials, meteorologists, the highway department, Georgetown Police Department and Williamson County Sheriff’s Office.
- After taking into account all the information that is received from external and internal sources, the Superintendent will make a decision as early as possible whether to delay or cancel school.
In the event of a delayed start, please review the school hours for your child's campus. Ex: if the start to the day is 7:55 am on a normal school day, a two-hour delay would cause the school day to start at 9:55 am. A similar schedule can be assumed for bus transportation.
The Communication Process – What Happens NextWhen a decision is made to cancel school, delay school, or dismiss school early, the district will notify parents using the SchoolMessenger email alert and the Georgetown ISD website will be updated as quickly as possible.Information about school closures, delays, or early dismissal will also be communicated through the following media, including but not limited to:
Because of the uncertainty of weather conditions, we ask that parents and staff monitor local media, the GISD website, and email before heading to school or sending children to the bus stop. An important rule of thumb to note is, if there is no announcement from Georgetown ISD, then classes will be held on a normal schedule.Contact information can be updated in Skyward any time to ensure we have the most up-to-date contact information to reach you.
- Georgetown ISD on Twitter and Facebook: @GeorgetownISD
- Local television stations: KTBC (FOX-TV), KVUE (ABC-TV), KXAN (NBC-TV), KEYE (CBS-TV), and Spectrum Cable News
- Local newspapers: The Austin American Statesman, Williamson County Sun and Community Impact Newspaper
- Local radio stations: KLBJ (590 AM) and KUT (90.5 FM)