- Georgetown Independent School District
- Family Updates
The Latest Update
October 26, 2021: Family & Staff UpdatePosted by Community Relations on 10/26/2021 5:15:00 PM
As we kick off the second grading period of the 2021-22 school year, I’m inspired by what I’m seeing our students and teachers accomplish both in and out of the classroom, and I would like to share a few of last week's accomplishments with you:
- The GHS marching band finished their season with a qualifying finish in the final round for UIL Regional Competition
- The tennis team from GHS clenched the regional title and qualified for State
- Cross country runners from both EVHS and GHS qualified for State
- And more than 1,000 students participated in the district’s annual Future Ready Fair, interacting with college recruiters and local business owners and exploring options for their future after graduation.
A lot of hard work and dedication goes into preparing for these kinds of opportunities, and ultimately, student success. And we know that these successes start with our students maintaining high academic standards in the classroom.
Extracurricular activities are a place where many of our students find their passion and what also makes the headlines. However, it’s the work in the classroom that makes it all possible, and I could not be more proud of how students and teachers are working to gain strides in all areas.
As you may already know, GISD has called a bond election for November 2, 2021. While that is the official election date, please know that early voting is underway and the last day to vote prior to Election Day is October 29th.
Voters are being asked to vote on five propositions in GISD:
PROPOSITION A includes:
- Two new elementary schools to accommodate for growth
- A new middle school to replace Benold MS
- A Future-Ready Learning Complex that would allow the expansion of advanced career & technology programs; provide a new home for Richarte High School, the Bridges 18+ transition program, GISD childcare center (Eagle Wings) and the GISD health and wellness clinic
- New ag barns at EVHS + GHS
- Safety & Security upgrades
- Roofs + HVAC upgrades/replacements at select campuses according to our maintenance schedule
- Sunshades for elementary playgrounds
- Funds to acquire land for future development
- The design for HS #3 and design to convert current the Benold Middle School into a new Frost ES
PROPOSITION B would fund
- Datacenter upgrades and enhanced technology infrastructure
- New/replacement devices for students and staff to maintain the district’s one-to-one initiative
PROPOSITION C would fund
- Renovations to interior finishes and seating of the Klett Performing Arts Center
(from the original construction in 1999)
PROPOSITION D would construct
- A district swim center in partnership with the YMCA
- It would be built on district-owned land near McCoy Elementary School and
- Allow the district to expand programming for all students to include water safety for elementary students, off-season training for non-swim athletic programs and allow for the expansion of swim programs to include diving and water polo
PROPOSITION E would fund
- Renovations to GHS Tennis Complex
Your voice is the loudest when you vote in local elections that impact what happens in your community. As a parent or a staff member in GISD, it’s my hope that you have the information you need to make an informed decision and that you feel compelled to make your voice heard by going to the polls this week. As a district, it is our responsibility to make sure voters are informed about the propositions being considered. I hope you have been able to gain information about each proposition through our many channels of communications or community presentations. If you need to learn more about the bond, find polling locations, and more, I invite you to visit our website at www.georgetownisdbond.org. And as always, if you have questions, don’t hesitate to ask. You can select “Bond Questions” in Let’s Talk to have your question routed to the most appropriate staff member for a response, and you can always email me or your campus principal to better understand how this bond impacts you.
I appreciate you and the opportunity to serve GISD.
With much gratitude,
Georgetown ISD Superintendent