VENUE CHANGE FOR OUR SPRING CONCERT: THURSDAY MAY 9TH, TIPPIT MIDDLE SCHOOL STAGE
5:15PM SLIDESHOW TEAM, 5:30PM ALL ORCHESTRAS
6:30PM CONCERT BEGINS
Prelude, Philharmonic, Symphony Orchestra
Theatre Arts 1
JV Cantus Men's Choir & Varsity Mixed Choir, Asst. Director
Benold Middle School
Phone: 943-5090 x.6988
GISD INSTRUMENT RENTALS - Will be available for Checkout August 20th, 2018
- Cello & Bass students who will be using a GISD instrument at school will need to pay a maintenance fee of $20
- Violin, Viola, Cello & Bass rentals will be available for rental only if we have enough sizes to accomodate students using the instruments at school during class. Additional instruments available by size will be able to be rented for $100 for the school year. Payments can be divided and made in October, December and February.
SUMMER INSTRUMENT RENTALS - Turn in Day August 16th, 2018
- Summer rentals must be turned in with case, bow, and instrument on the first day of school in order to prepare for our upcoming school year rentals.
NEW ORCHESTRA STUDENTS - First year players in Benold Orchestra 2018
- If you have not yet chosen your instrument for Orchestra, are new to Benold MS from another school or have recently moved to GISD, please call or email Miss Dane to set up an appointment for an orientation (beginners) or an audition (intermediate & advanced)
ORCHESTRA AUDITIONS FOR THE 2018-2019 SCHOOL YEAR
Welcome to the Benold Orchestra! Students interested in joining should contact Ms Dane. In Orchestra, we have Harp, Violin, Viola, Cello and Basses. Each instrument comes in a variety of sizes, just like shoes! As you grow, you'll be able to exchange your instrument for the next size up. Do decide, listen to the sound of the instrument, explore videos and recordings online, and come to our Open House or Try-Out Day and we'll find the instrument that you love in a size that fits you!Can you do Sports and Orchestra throughout the year? Yes! Nearly 70% of our Orchestra students also play a sport at Benold or compete on teams outside of school. We haven't had any conflicts with any game days, and the coaches and teachers always work together if there are any conflicts that come up with practices. It's rare there's a conflict, but the few required concerts we have that are in the evenings you will have 2-6 months notice before they come up.How many years of experience do I need in order to join the Benold Orchestra? More than 90% of the kids that join their first year have never touched an Orchestral Stringed instrument. Beginning Orchestra starts from day one and welcomes ALL Benold Students no matter what grade they are in. We learn the parts of the instrument, how to hold it, how to play it, and how to begin playing songs for concerts. If you are an incoming student and have taken private lessons before, or are coming from another school where you took Orchestra, contact Ms. Dane via email to set up an audition. This will help get you placed into the right level Orchestra to have a successful and fun school year!Can you do 2 Fine Arts classes, like Choir/Orchestra, Band/Orchestra, Theater/Orchestra, Art/Orchestra? Yes! If so, that means you are one multi-talented student! Just remember when you are in two performing groups, you will also need to practice both of those instruments and attend both required performances. The advantage is, when you are gifted and talented in one fine art, the second fine art you add on usually you work very quickly (learn the fastest) and retain a lot from so many disciplines. It's a win-win!What else do we do in Orchestra? After school parties, field trips to Georgetown HS, Elementary School Tour, Schlitterbahn, Six Flags, Pizza parties and DOUGHNUT DAY following every concert! This spring we are hoping to see the Austin Symphony at Bass concert hall - they are performing Jurassic Park while the movie plays behind them like a live studio orchestra!
- For students moving in over the summer or at semester, please email Miss Dane to set up a video or live audition
- Prepare scales and argpeggios in the keys you know, prepare to contrasting solo excerpts (16-32 measures each), an example of an orchestra or solo song you have played before
IMPORTANT ORCHESTRA INFORMATION
All Students and Parents are expected to use the CHARMS website or the CHARMS App in order to receive Orchestra emails and Concert updates
Texts can be sent from CHARMS reminding you of important events!!
LOGGING INTO CHARMSSchool Code: BenoldorchPassoword: Student's Six digit ID Number