Georgetown ISD Seeks Nominations for Name of Middle School #4
Georgetown Independent School District is seeking nominations for the name of Middle School #4. Construction on the new school began this summer and is located next to Mitchell Elementary on Rockride Lane. The campus is being built with bond funds which were approved by GISD voters in 2010 and 2015, and is scheduled to open in the fall of 2017.
GISD Board Policy CW (LOCAL) outlines criteria for the naming of a new district facility. The policy states that a new facility shall be named for one of the following:
- A historical or geographical site or community
- A local, state, or national historical event or place
- A significant local, state or national figure
- A person who has made a significant contribution to education in the district
If the proposed name is a historical or geographic site, the name submitted must be accompanied by a written summary and/or a description of the significance of the name.
If the proposed name is in honor of an individual, the name must be accompanied by a written rationale and/or description of the named person's accomplishments. Each name nominated must fulfill the following criteria:
- The nominee shall be widely respected, regardless of any partisan affiliation.
- The nominee shall be a person of character who embodies a wholesome image that would be expected to stand the test of time.
- The nominee shall have a background of service to people of the district, Texas, or the United States.