Return to Headlines
Board Brief October 17, 2016
October 17, 2016
- The GISD Board recognized the September and
October Jack Frost Citizens Award recipients for their outstanding volunteer
work and service in GISD. September Jack Frost Award winners from GHS included Emma
Anderson and Harrison Magee. September Jack Frost Award winners from EVHS
included Laura C. Rativa, and Hector Padron. October Jack Frost Citizens Award
recipients from GHS included Samantha Svoboda and Kaden Herbert. October Jack
Frost Citizens Award recipients from EVHS Erika Young, and Ethan Bray.
- The GISD Board recognized the 2016 GISD National
Merit Scholars for their outstanding academic achievements:
EVHS - Ben Shearer (Semi-Finalist), Shelby Brainard, Michael Shald, Dane Strandboge, and Austin Zane. National Hispanic Scholars included Olivia Nelson and Austin Zane.
GHS - Augustus Helpert and Jacqueline Massey
- Carol Watson, Director of Fine Arts, provided a
presentation on the state of the GISD Fine Arts department. The presentation
included statistics on student participation in all areas of fine arts. The
presentation also included a list of courses and fine arts activities offered
by the district. Classes include design, choir, and theater. Service projects
and community outreach include public events and school events. A list was also
presented of the various awards and recognitions the Fine Arts department
routinely receives. This included All-State Band members and Gold Seal Art Awards.
- Dr. Jeff Burke, Assistant Superintendent of Academics, presented the charter and new membership of the 2016-2017 Curriculum Advisory Council (CAC). He provided the board with a monthly update of the progress of the curriculum management plan. The focus of the presentation was on grading and assessments. Vicki Barbosa, Assessment Director, detailed the CAC plan for crafting grading guidelines that fit the GISD vision and mission.
- The GISD Board of Trustees unanimously approved
a resolution to proclaim October 2016 as Human Resources Awareness Month.
- The GISD Board of Trustees unanimously approved a resolution to proclaim October 2016 as Principals Month.
- The Board of Trustees approved the September 16 Board Workshop and September 19 Board Meeting minutes.
- The Board of Trustees approved the motion as
presented by Steve West, Chief Financial Officer, that the GISD fiscal year
ended June 30, 2016 with an independent audit performed by Maxwell Locke and
Ritter. The audit results stated that the district is financially sound and
well prepared for the future.
- The Board of Trustees considered and approved
the action to authorize the Superintendent to execute the closing for the
acquisition of the Santa Rita school site commiserate with the agreement
approved April 19, 2016 and subsequent amendments.
- The Board of Trustees unanimously moved to approve the action item on appointment, employment, evaluation, or duties of professional employees as presented in closed session as authorized by TX Gov’t Code Section 551.071, 551.129, 551.074.
- Dr. Fred Brent presented his Superintendent’s Report to the board. Dr. Brent discussed: HR Appreciation Month, First Responders night, Manufacturing Day, Bike Walk to School Day, Bullying Prevention Month, Principals Day, Veterans day, and School Safety Week.