Board Brief from Jan. 17 Regular Board Meeting
January 17, 2017
GISD Board receives zoning plan update
The district was expected to bring a final recommendation to the Board on proposed attendance zone changes, but additional time was needed to address questions and feedback received at the public meetings and online. The Board is expected to take action on the rezoning plan at the February 21 meeting.
On Thursday, February 9, GISD will host a Spanish language public meeting on the rezoning of attendance boundaries in the cafeteria at the Mitchell Elementary, located at 1601 Rockride Lane. The meeting will begin at 7 p.m. and the entire presentation will be conducted in Spanish.
GISD District of Innovation Plan is underway
The District of Innovation (DOI) committee has completed its work to develop an innovation plan for Georgetown ISD. A public meeting will be held on February 8 at 4:30 p.m. at Forbes Middle School concerning the proposed DOI plan. If approved by the district advisory committee, the plan will be up for consideration and action by the Board of Trustees at the February meeting.
The District of Innovation concept was passed into law by the 84th Legislative Session in House Bill 1842, which created Texas Education Code chapter 12A.
The Board approves A-F resolution
The Board unanimously approved a resolution opposing the A-F Accountability Rating System and advocating for a Community-Based Accountability System.
To view the Board Resolution, click here.
- Students from across the District recognized individual School Board members for School Board Appreciation Month.
- The GISD Board recognized the January Jack Frost Citizens Award recipients for their outstanding volunteer work and service in GISD. December Jack Frost Award winners from GHS were Andrew Larson and Megan Jimenez. December Jack Frost Award winners from EVHS were Jillian Swets and Keldon Boswell.
- Steve West, Chief Financial Officer for the District, presented updates on bond projects.
- Suzanne Marchman, Executive Director of Community Engagement and Communications, presented the A-F Accountability Ratings for the District. To learn more about A-F, visit www.georgetownisd.org and click on the Resources tab underneath the scrolling banner.
The Board approved the following Consent Items:
- Financial Report
- Budget Amendment #6 for 2016-2017
- Order Calling for School Board Election for Places 4, 5, and 7 on May 6, 2017
- December 12 and January 3 Board Meeting minutes
- The Board of Trustees approves refined Strategic Goals and Strategies
- The Board approves Professional Hires
The next meeting of the Georgetown ISD Board of Trustees is Tuesday, February 21.