Next Week at Purl
Note from Purl Admin
Welcome back Pumas! We hope you enjoyed a restful and safe Spring Break. I'd like to ask your support and help in keeping our campus safe and beautiful. Inappropriate pictures and words have been drawn on our playground equipment and back walls more than once this school year. We have a fantastic custodial department and crew that have helped to clean and maintain these areas after they've been vandalized. Our campus playgrounds are closely monitored during the day by staff for student safety, and I'm proud to say that many of our students have volunteered to clean up trash during recess. We need the help of our amazing community to keep these areas clean during holidays, weekends, and out of school hours. Please speak to your child and neighbors about keeping our school grounds clean and beautiful for our students. Over 730 students utilize the playgrounds from ages 3 to 12, and we'd like to keep these areas safe and clean. The GISD Bond that passed in the fall will help to provide security cameras to elementary schools both in and outside of the school building. Thank you in advance for your help and watchful eye!
Reading Strategies to Use At Home
Sometimes evenings and nights can be exhausting after a long day of school, work, and extracurriculuar activtiies. If you and your child are "morning people" and feel fresh to learn first thing after a good night's sleep, consider reading in the morning before school. Getting up 15-20 minutes early to read before school is a great way to establish a calm morning routine. Students can even read in the car on the way to school and you can discuss what they've read as you wait in the car line.
Get Involved & Represent Pumas!
- Help Art for our Garden Build - Our wonderful art teacher needs help now through March 29th with the cinder blocks that will be our raised garden beds! Students will be decorating the cinder blocks during art class. If you're available between 8:15-10:45 on these dates, please email Katy Gurley.
- Texas Sprouts Garden Build - Saturday, March 30th we will have a garden build from 9am to 1pm. Please consider joining us! All students, teachers, staff, and families are welcome to help build our garden. Sign up for a fun day! Classes with the most student participation will earn a pajama day, and get a chance to earn tickets for our Fiesta!
- Purl Fiesta on April 13th - Our PTA is already gearing up for a fantastic Fiesta! This is our 2nd annual event and it is fun for the whole family. We will also be showcasing student artwork, having games for families, and you can purchase a shirt on site. Please email our PTA if you'd like to help set up for the event or if you're available to volunteer that day!
2019-2020 New Student Enrollment
Do you have a new-to-GISD student in your family for 2019-2020? If you have a child who will be enrolling in kindergarten, pre-kindergarten, or returning to GISD from a charter or private school, you can now access online new student enrollment for the 2019-2020 school year from your existing Skyward Family Access account.
Instructions are posted on the GISD website: https://www.georgetownisd.org/newstudent
You will also need to attend a new student enrollment session at the campus your child will attend. Spring and summer new student enrollment dates for the 2019-2020 school year are posted on the GISD website: https://www.georgetownisd.org/enrolldates
If you need assistance with this process, please email our Skyward Family service desk at email@example.com or contact our campus registrar.
The week before Spring Break was full of fun and learning at Purl! We had 165 absences and 124 tardies the week of March 4th through March 8th. Attendance is still important even during fun events on campus like our Texas Hoe Down, Field Day, or class parties - these activities help students build a sense of community with their peers and also give them a chance to show-off their school to family. As a reminder: students that are not at school before 10am or that are signed out of school before 10am will be marked absent for the day.
Monday, March 18th
- E Day Specials
- Battle of the Books Practice @ 3:15
- GISD School Board Meeting @ 7pm at Central Office
Tuesday, March 19th
- F Day Specials
Wednesday, March 20th
- A Day Specials
Thursday, March 21st
- B Day Specials
- STEM Scouts @ 3:15
Friday, March 22nd EARLY RELEASE
- Enrichment Clubs 9:30-10:30am
- PK Dismissal @ 10:55am
- K-5th Dismissal @ 11:55am
SAVE THE DATE:
March 28th - Parent Collaborative - Let's Learn About the Transition to Middle School
March 30th - Purl Garden Build & Student Council Garage Sale
April 5th - Puma Reading Club
April 9th - 4th Wrting STAAR & 5th Math STAAR
April 10th - 5th Reading STAAR
April 18th through April 22nd - No School
May 3rd - Field Day