- Georgetown Independent School District
- GISD Home
GISD eNews | 12-17-20
In this week’s eNews:
- New Human Sexuality Curriculum for 7-8 Grades
- Mental Health Resources Available to GISD Students Over the Break
- ParentU: New Resources Now Available!
- COVID-19 Reporting Over the Holiday Break
- Curbside Meal Distribution Closed Over Break, Will Resume Jan. 5
- Help Shape the Future of Prekindergarten Programs: Instructional Materials Adoption
- From the Georgetown ISD Education Foundation: Shop at Amazon and Randalls to Support GISD Students and Teachers!
- From the Williamson County and Cities Health District: How to Access Free COVID Testing, Appointments Now Required
In Case You Missed It: Great News in GISD Schools!
New Human Sexuality Curriculum for 7-8 Grades
Georgetown ISD adopted a new curriculum for human sexuality in fall 2020 that will be implemented in the spring semester for students in 7th and 8th grades. Parents can learn more about the curriculum during a recorded information session on our website.
Additionally, parents will receive more information from their child’s campus in January, including how to opt their child out of lessons.
If you have questions about the program, you can send them to the curriculum team via Let’s Talk.
Mental Health Resources Available to GISD Students Over the Break
The holiday season can be a challenging time. As the winter break approaches, the GISD Guidance and Wellness team wants to remind families of the resources available to them and introduce a new way to ensure swift access to counseling services for students once school is back in session. Visit the district news section of our website to learn more about:
- How to access the new Counseling Service Release Form in Skyward
- Counseling services through our partner, Care Solace
- ParentU Health and Wellness resources
ParentU: New Resources Now Available!
New ParentU resources launched this week just in time for the holiday break! These resources include:
- Equity Newsletter (all ages)
- Youth Programs Through Georgetown Parks and Recreation Flyer (all ages)
- Human Sexuality Curriculum: Virtual Information Session (Grades 7-8)
- Supporting Children and Teens During this Holiday Season article (all ages)
- Simple Activities for Children and Adolescents document (all ages)
- Resources, Ideas & Answers for Your Student’s Mental Wellbeing video (all ages)
We hope you’ll check out these resources and share your feedback with us! Explore all our resources at www.georgetownisd.org/ParentU and share your feedback or suggest a future topic through Let’s Talk!
COVID-19 Reporting Over the Holiday Break
Over the holiday break, we are still asking families and staff to self-report if they receive a COVID-19 diagnosis. Rather than contacting your campus nurse or supervisor, please use the following Google forms. Staff will monitor these forms over the break, and notification letters will continue to be sent.
While we continue to monitor for COVID-19 and send notifications, we want you to know that the COVID-19 dashboard will be updated during the break on Monday, Dec. 21 and Monday, Jan. 4 only. Daily dashboard updates will resume when we return in January.
Curbside Meal Distribution Closed Over Break, Will Resume Jan. 5
There will be no curbside meal distribution over the holiday break. Distribution will resume from 10 a.m.–1 p.m. at Purl Elementary School when classes resume Tuesday, Jan. 5.
Help Shape the Future of Prekindergarten programs at the elementary level
What you need to know
Instructional resources and materials adoption happens every 8-10 years and your input is vital to shape the learning experience of our students for the future.
We invite you to participate in the Prekindergarten materials adoption process for 2021, visit with vendors and share feedback on the materials you would like to see in our classrooms.
Materials will be available for preview in person on Friday, December 18. Some materials may also be available for viewing online. For details on how to sign up and provide feedback, please visit our website.
From our Community Partners:
From the Georgetown ISD Education Foundation: Shop at Amazon and Randalls to Support GISD Students and Teachers!
Randalls and Amazon make it easy to support our schools through the GISD Education Foundation! As you are shopping this holiday season, be sure to designate the Ed Foundation as your charity of choice on Amazon. Simply start shopping at smile.amazon.com and search for the Georgetown ISD Education Foundation.
The Education Foundation will also receive 1 percent of every Randall’s purchase you make. Fill out this form and submit it to your local Randall’s store to show your support!
From the Williamson County and Cities Health District: How to
Did you know that free COVID-19 testing is available seven days a week through the Williamson County and Cities Health District? The walk-up site is located next to the Georgetown Public Library and is open from 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. You also do not need to be experiencing COVID-19 symptoms to be tested. For more information, or to sign up for an appointment, visit www.wcchd.org/COVID-19/testing. Additional testing sites locations can be found on www.wilco.org.
Important Upcoming Dates
- Dec. 18 – Early Release/Professional Day, End of 9-Week Grading Period
- Dec. 21 – Jan. 1, 2021 – School Closed/Holiday
During this time, the Technology Service Desk will be closed, and technology support for students and staff will be unavailable. If you submit a service request during this time, there will be no response until staff returns to work in January.
- Jan. 4 – Student Holiday/Professional Learning
- Jan. 18 – School Closed/Holiday
- Jan. 19 - School Board Meeting
Our partners with the YMCA and Georgetown Parks and Recreation have options available to families in need of childcare during the upcoming student holidays.
Did you know that we also send eNews via email every Thursday? Sign up today.
Have questions? Let’s Talk
The GISD eNews is intended to inform subscribers and provide a snapshot of district events and student achievements. It is not intended to be inclusive of every campus or program in GISD. For more information on Georgetown ISD visit our website, find us on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram.
The links found in eNews will not be automatically translated. To translate the content of our website, click on "Translate Language" on the right side and select the language you prefer.
Los enlaces que se encuentran en eNews no se traducirán automáticamente. Para traducir el contenido de nuestro sitio web, haga clic en "Translate Language" en el lado derecho y seleccione el idioma que prefiera.